Thursday, September 18, 2014

Do I have to clean my... mind?



I am not a negative person, well that's what my positive affirmation book tells me and I try to read it everyday, with little to no success. On a more serious note though, there have been many things in my life of late that have unfortunately left a somewhat foul taste in my mouth, the foul taste of negativity.

Trying to remove these so called "tastes" has proven to be a rather difficult task or tasks, and I am again finding myself in search of anything that will get my positive vibes back up and running again. I mean ANYTHING.

After scrolling and trolling through every self help word available to man via google and an endless array of quotes, I stumbled across a picture that I had heard about many years ago by an artist that goes by the name of Yoko Ono. Yep, that bizarre diminutive Japanese lady that used to be married to a Beatle, and who is also working harder than ever at spreading her desire for peace and love the world over. I know this for a fact, I saw her live in Sydney last year and she really means what she says, "War is over. If you want it."

I digress. Ms.Ono had created this piece titled "cleaning piece" for an art exhibit in Venice. As always, the style was explicitly simple with a very powerful message, a message that I am going to "try" to adopt over the coming months, "Try to say nothing negative about anybody." Easy, right? I mean, I pride myself on not talking (too much) smack about others, but every now and again a situation or situations, usually in the human form, test my ability to not say unkind things about bad or idiotic behaviours. Well now I have three options at trying this experiment, 3 days, 45 days and/or 3 months. I'm going to go all in, 3 months.

As Ms.Ono said recently when asked about this piece, all you can do is try. Trying is the more powerful of all the words on this little piece of paper, without it we will never truly know if we are actually able, able to do anything really. Let me see what happens to my life, I'm sure I am going to be surprised, if not by the outcome, at least for the fact that I "tried" to stick to something for longer than a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment